Monday, January 10, 2011

Why giving matters

I'm a fundraiser, and this is a blog that will be all about fundraising.  And so, for my first post, I had planned this long post about why fundraising matters; why it's changing the world, empowering people, building social agencies and making the world a better place.

And then I realized...

Fundraising doesn't matter.  Fundraising is a tool, a delivery method.  It is a way to connect people who want to give help to people and issues that need help.

What really matters is that people in a community rise up in support of issues and challenges that matter - research to cure or prevent diseases, care for kids and families that benefit, looking after our environment.  What really matters is that each of us chooses to step up and, in our own way, say "I will be part of this solution. I can do something about this".  In this way, our society is built up, strengthened; empowered to change itself.

Fundraising is one way to facilitate the generous support of individuals and groups for one another.  As a medium of delivery, I believe fundraising is an incredibly powerful tool.  It is not the only one, but done well (by empowering and building up donors and connecting people directly to the issues they are addressing) it is among the best.

And that is why I believe giving matters.  That is what I will be blogging about - exploring, speculating, digging in to - in this space.  Half of this blog is my perspective - that of a nonprofit professional, living in Calgary, born as part of the millennial generation.  The other half is from everywhere else - your comments and ideas, other blogs and books, and many many conversations.

Join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment